1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. Subject to the additional restrictions below, the CityLab CityEats Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal U.S. residents of the 50 United States (excluding Puerto Rico) and the District of Columbia who are 21 years or older at the time of entry. Employees and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside or those living in the same households, whether or not related) of The Atlantic Monthly Group, Inc. (“Sponsor”), and its respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, retailers, dealers, advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, “Contest Parties”) are not eligible to enter or win. All persons entering the Contest (“Entrants”) must be living as of the date of their entry and the date on which they may be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release as set forth in Section 8 of these Official Rules.
3. Contest Period. The Contest will begin at 9:00 A.M. Eastern Time (“E.T.”) on October 26, 2016 and end at 11:59 PM E.T. on November 1, 2016 (the “Contest Period”).
4. How to Enter. The entry period to submit entries will begin at 9:00 A.M. ET on October 26, 2016 and end at 11:59 PM (E.T.) on November 1, 2016 (the “Entry Period”). To enter, during the Entry Period, Entrants may complete an official entry form available online at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/citylab-cityeats and write one paragraph about Entrant’s favorite neighborhood cuisine or dive (the “Submission”). Sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries. All entries become property of Sponsor and none will be returned. Entrant’s computer must accept cookies, or any successor or similar technology, which may be used for the purpose of entry tracking. Ad blocking software on your computer needs to be disabled so that it doesn’t interfere with processing your entry. By entering, Entrant agrees to the terms of these Official Rules and to receive e-mails from Sponsor or those directed by Sponsor regarding Sponsor’s products and services as well as the “Today on CityLab” digital newsletter. You can opt-out of the receipt of such e-mails by following the directions on the Contest website or in any email received from Sponsor.
5. Winner Selection. There will be a total of eight (8) winners in the Contest (each a “Winner”) determined promptly after the Contest closes on November 1, 2016 as described more fully below. A Each Submission will be evaluated by a panel of three (3) Sponsor judges for completeness, creativity, clarity, and evocative descriptions. Decisions of judges and Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects.
6. Grant of Rights. By entering the Contest, each Entrant grants to the Sponsor the right to use the Submission on Sponsor’s print and digital properties (e.g., www.theatlantic.com, www.citylab.com and all mobile and app extensions thereof, including embeddable players). Sponsor may display the Submission in whole or in part and may edit the Submission for publication. Sponsor will credit the Entrant according to its customary practices. Sponsor may use the Submission, and Entrant’s name, pre-approved likeness, and biographical material for promotional purposes (e.g., to drive traffic to the site). Sponsor may keep the Submission in its archives and may publish the Submission with its sister and partner sites, including branded social media. Entrant warrants that: (a) Entrant owns all rights in the Submission (b) Entrant has the right to convey the rights granted herein; and (c) that Sponsor’s use of the Submission will not infringe the rights of any third party. Entrant takes full responsibility for claims, losses, and damages resulting from the use of the Submission by Sponsor and indemnifies Sponsor, and its respective officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns, and holds them harmless from any claims, damages, liabilities, losses, costs or expenses that may arise out of Sponsor’s use of the Submission.
7. Prizes and Odds. There will be a total of eight (8) Winners. Each Winner will receive one (1) gift card for fifty dollars ($50.00 USD) to order takeout or delivery from local restaurants. (Total ARV of all prizes: $400). Odds of winning depend on the quality of the eligible entries.
All prizes subject to availability. As determined by Sponsor, certain prizes might not be available (or are subject to change) due to scheduling issues, changed circumstances and other factors that may (or may not) be beyond the control of Sponsor. Details and specifics of each prize are subject to approval by Sponsor and/or will be determined by Sponsor in their own discretion, as applicable. Incidentals, gratuities and other expenses are not included. Each Winner is responsible for providing identification and other required documents. Limit one (1) prize per person.
8. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Selected Winners will be notified on or about November 4, 2016. Sponsor will call each selected Winner at the telephone number provided on the entry form during regular business hours and/or send each selected Winner an email to the provided email address. Failure to reach any Winner by phone or email after three (3) attempts may result in disqualification of the associated winner, forfeiture of his or her interest in all prizes, and selection of a substitute winner from among all remaining eligible entries. Any Winner who does not respond by 6:00 p.m. (E.T.) November 7, 2016 will have forfeited his or her prize. After notification, Winners will be announced on CityLab.com. Winners may waive their right to receive prizes. Prizes are nonassignable and nontransferable. No substitutions allowed by winner. Prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and Sponsor reserve the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater retail value for any reason. Each Winner is solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Each Winner may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility/liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned as directed by Sponsor. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in a winner’s disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize, and the award of the prize to a substitute winner. Except where prohibited, acceptance of any prize constitutes winner’s consent to the publication of his or her name, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation the Internet, or further compensation. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winners in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsor.
9. Participation. By participating, each Entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor. Sponsor reserve the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserve the right in their sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserve the right to award prizes based on the entries received before and/or after the termination date, or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. Sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries, or for failure to receive entries or votes or other electronic communications due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Sponsor. The authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry will be considered the Entrant. An “authorized account holder” shall mean the natural person assigned to such email account by the Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with such e-mail account. A potential winner may be requested to provide proof that In the event of a dispute, all online entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the owner of the ISP account from which they were sent. For these purposes, an ISP account holder shall mean the natural person assigned to such ISP account by the Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning ISP addresses for the domain associated with such ISP account. Any questions regarding the number of entries, or votes submitted or the owner of an ISP account shall be determined by Sponsor in their sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries or votes by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest.
10. Release. By entering the Contest (and, if applicable, by receipt of prize), each Entrant agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective officers, directors, members, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or, for each Winner, receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
11. Limitations of Liability. The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from Entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an Entrant's entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, Entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest unless it is not possible to award another entry due to discontinuance or completion of the Contest. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded.
12. Disputes. Each Entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
13. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
14. Sponsor, Winners List and Official Rules. The CityLab CityEats Contest is sponsored by The Atlantic Monthly Group, Inc., 600 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20037. The decisions of Sponsor regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. For a list of winners (available after November 4, 2016) or a copy of these Official Rules, visit http://www.citylab.com/cityeats-contest-rules/ or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope (Vermont residents need not affix return postage) to “Winners List/Official Rules” (as applicable), CityLab CityEats Contest Awards, 600 New Hampshire Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20037. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact Jessica Hester at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-266-7000.