Martha Park is a writer and illustrator from Memphis, Tennessee. Her work has appeared in Guernica, Granta, Ecotone Magazine, The Rumpus, and elsewhere.
Ben Carson’s HUD is shutting down two of the largest housing projects in Cairo, Illinois, leaving the town’s fate to a higher power.
Editor’s note: From Charles Dickens to Ben Carson, those who visited Cairo, Illinois, have rarely described it in kind words. For her latest contribution to CityLab, writer and visual storyteller Martha Park explores the latest challenge facing this long-struggling city.
- As Cairo, Illinois Reckons with Public Housing Crisis, Basketball Hangs On, Washington Post
- People Still Live Here, The Southern
- Visit from Housing and Urban Development Secretary, The Southern
- HUD Secretary visits Cairo, The Southern
- Sen. Dick Durbin and HUD Secretary Ben Carson discuss Cairo housing crisis, The Southern
- HUD Long Neglected These Residents. Now As They Move Out, Some Feel HUD Let Them Down Again, ProPublica